How to achieve the best WiFi performance
Optimizing the wireless network
At home, the wireless network (WiFi) is usually the most common method for accessing the internet. Smartphone and tablet users are especially dependent upon stable wireless reception. Since they change their location frequently, the wireless network should ideally cover all rooms. The FRITZ!Box is already ideally configured for most wireless environments in the factory settings. If the wireless speed or network coverage is insufficient, the following simple steps will help you to optimize the wireless network.
Note:This guide is valid for FRITZ!OS 7 or later. If you are using an earlier FRITZ!OS version, the configuration may differ or functions may not be available. You can find the version of FRITZ!OS on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
1 Installing the latest software
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update) or the latest operating system (for example Android, iOS) for the wireless device.
Note:Refer to the manufacturer of the device for information on how to update it, for example consult the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
2 Automatically configuring wireless channel settings
Configure the following settings so that the FRITZ!Box checks the wireless environment on a regular basis and automatically selects the best wireless channel settings:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, position the FRITZ!Box in a central location. FRITZ!Box has omnidirectional antennas. The wireless signal is therefore emitted spherically in all directions.
- Do not position the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Position the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Position the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Position the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and the wireless devices. Even small objects in the immediate vicinity of your FRITZ!Box can greatly reduce the coverage area of the wireless signal. Metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Position the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.