Optimizing the wireless network
At home, the wireless network (WiFi) is usually the most common method for accessing the internet. Smartphone and tablet users are especially dependent upon stable wireless reception. Since they change their location frequently, the wireless network should ideally cover all rooms.
The FRITZ!Box is already ideally configured for most wireless environments in the factory settings. If the wireless speed or network coverage is insufficient, the following simple steps will help you to optimize the wireless network.
Note:This guide is valid for FRITZ!OS 7 or later. If you are using an earlier FRITZ!OS version, the configuration may differ or functions may not be available. You can find the FRITZ!OS version on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
1 Installing the latest software
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest software version for the wireless device (for example Android, iOS) or the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update).
Note:Information on the update can be obtained from the device's manufacturer, for example refer to the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
2 Automatically configuring wireless channel settings
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box evaluates its wireless environment and the quality of the connection of the wireless devices connected to it on a regular basis and then automatically selects the current ideal wireless channel settings. If you disabled the automatic adjustment of wireless channel settings, enable it again:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
3 Find the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, place the FRITZ!Box in a central location. FRITZ!Box has omnidirectional antennas. The wireless signal is therefore emitted spherically in all directions.
- Do not place the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Place the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and the wireless devices. Even small objects in the immediate vicinity of your FRITZ!Box can greatly reduce the coverage area of the wireless signal. Metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Place the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.