FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
Cannot establish a wireless connection
Although the FRITZ!WLAN Stick can find the wireless network (WiFi) of your wireless router (for example FRITZ!Box), the stick cannot establish a connection to the wireless router.
The FRITZ!WLAN control software displays the following error message:
- "Failed to establish connection":
* Check the network key entry
* whether the WLAN device is switched on, ready to receive, and within range
* whether the name of the WLAN device (SSID) is correct. (0x6406)"
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 The wireless network cannot be found
- Double-click the FRITZ!WLAN symbol in the notification area of the Windows taskbar (Systray).
- Click "Find" in the "FRITZ!WLAN" window.
- Check whether the wireless router's wireless network can be found.
- If the wireless network of the wireless router is found, proceed with the following section.
If the wireless network of the wireless router is not found, follow the instructions given in our guide Wireless router's wireless network cannot be found.
2 Briefly disabling the MAC address filter
The wireless router's MAC address filter may not be enabled during configuration:
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for the configuration. If you are using a different wireless router, refer to the device's manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
The MAC address filter is now disabled. You can reenable it as soon as you have finished configuring the wireless connection between the FRITZ!WLAN Stick and the wireless router.
3 Reconfiguring the wireless connection
Setting up the wireless connection automatically
The following steps are only necessary if you are using a FRITZ!Box with a USB port as the wireless router:
- Insert the FRITZ!WLAN Stick into the USB port on the FRITZ!Box.
Note:The wireless security settings are transmitted to the FRITZ!WLAN Stick using Stick & Surf. Once the procedure is completed, the "Info" LED on the FRITZ!Box remains lit.
- Insert the FRITZ!WLAN Stick into a USB port on your computer.
Now the wireless connection to the FRITZ!Box is automatically established.
Setting up the wireless connection manually
Perform the following steps if you are using a different wireless router, and not a FRITZ!Box with a USB port:
- Right-click the FRITZ!WLAN symbol in the notification area of the Windows taskbar (Systray).
- Select "Known Wireless LAN Remote Sites..." from the context menu.
- Right-click the connection that displays the wireless network name (SSID) of the wireless router.
- Click "Remove".
- Click the "Find" button.
- In the window "Find and Select WLAN Device", double-click the entry that displays the name of the wireless router's network in the column "Name (SSID)".
- Select the wireless encryption used by the wireless router from the drop-down list "Security".
- Enter the wireless router's network key in the "key" field.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.