FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick N v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860
Cannot access the Internet with Windows over wireless connection
A Windows computer with a FRITZ!WLAN Stick can open the user interface of the wireless router (for example FRITZ!Box), but it cannot use the Internet connection established by the router. However, other devices such as smartphones, game consoles or tablets can use the router's Internet connection.
One or more of the following error messages is displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the Windows computer:
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No Internet access"
- "Unidentified Network"
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the wireless router's DHCP server
The DHCP server assigns IP addresses to all network devices connected to the wireless router. This ensures that the network devices always obtain the correct IP settings required for Internet access and communication with other devices automatically:
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. Some FRITZ!Box settings are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled. You can find information on configuring a different router in its manual, or consult the manufacturer directly.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" or "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box should assign IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box uses the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the computer as a DHCP client
- Configure the computer with the FRITZ!WLAN Stick to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
3 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall on your computer is preventing the computer from obtaining its IP settings from the DHCP server:
- Configure the firewall so that it allows connections from the computer to the wireless router.
Note:You can find information on configuring the firewall in its manual, or consult its manufacturer directly.