FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430 MU-MIMO Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot access the internet over a wireless connection
A computer with a FRITZ!WLAN Stick cannot access the internet although the stick is connected with the wireless network of the wireless router (for example FRITZ!Box). However, other devices connected to the router can access the internet.
One of the following error messages may be displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the computer:
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No internet access"
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the wireless router's DHCP server
To ensure that all of the wireless devices connected to the wireless router automatically obtain the correct IP settings, make sure that the router's DHCP server is enabled:
Important:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. Some FRITZ!Box settings are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled. If you are using a different router, refer to the respective manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" or "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring a computer to automatically obtain IP settings
To ensure that the computer always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it automatically obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box (this is the standard setting for most operating systems):
- Configure the computer to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
3 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the wireless router:
- Configure the firewall so that it allows connections from the computer to the wireless router. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.