FRITZ!WLAN Repeater DVB-C Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot access the internet over a wireless connection
A computer, smartphone, or other device connected to the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater cannot access the internet. However, other devices connected to the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater can access the internet over the wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box).
One of the following error messages may be displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the respective computer:
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No internet access"
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the wireless router's DHCP server
To ensure that all of the wireless devices connected to the wireless router automatically obtain the correct IP settings, make sure that the router's DHCP server is enabled:
Important:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. Some FRITZ!Box settings are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled. If you are using a different router, refer to the respective manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" or "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
To ensure that the device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it automatically obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box (this is the standard setting for most devices):
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
3 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the wireless router:
- Configure the firewall so that it allows connections from the computer to the wireless router. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
4 Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest driver for your computer's wireless network adapter or the latest software for the respective device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).
You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.