FRITZ!Repeater DVB-C Service - Knowledge Base
Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box via wireless LAN
You want to connect a FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box via wireless LAN? ✓ Here we show you how easy it is.
Connect your FRITZ!Repeater to your FRITZ!Box via wireless LAN to easily and efficiently increase the wireless range (WiFi) of your home network. The FRITZ!Repeater adopts all of the wireless settings from the FRITZ!Box, such as wireless access information and guest access, and can be used directly by all wireless devices in the home network. If you are using a FRITZ!Box with FRITZ!OS 7 or later, the FRITZ!Repeater is automatically integrated into the Mesh.
In this guide we show you how to easily connect your FRITZ!Repeater with your FRITZ!Box by pushing a button (WPS PBC - Push Button Configuration).
If you want to connect it manually, proceed as described in the guide Manually connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box home network via wireless LAN. However, in this case the FRITZ!Repeater is not integrated into the Mesh.
Fig.: Connection scenario for wireless bridge mode
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Plug the FRITZ!Repeater in.
- Wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater has started and the "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs remain lit or the LEDs of the signal strength indicator flash.
- Push and hold down the "WPS" button down for about 15 seconds until all of the LEDs flash at the same time.
Fig.: Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
- The "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs remains lit as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Setting up the FRITZ!Repeater as a wireless bridge
- For setup, plug the FRITZ!Repeater into an outlet near the FRITZ!Box.
- Wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater has started and the "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs remain lit.
- Briefly push the "WPS" button on the FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. The "WLAN" LED starts to flash after you release the button.
Important:If the "WLAN" LED only flashes briefly and then goes out, an older FRITZ!OS is installed. In this case, push the "WPS" button on the FRITZ!Repeater again briefly; when the "WLAN" LED lights up again, push and hold down the "WLAN" button for about 6 seconds until the "WLAN" LED flashes.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the FRITZ!Box until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up:
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 6890 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560 WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The FRITZ!Repeater is fully integrated into the Mesh about 5 seconds after one or more signal strength LEDs on the FRITZ!Repeater remain lit.
3 Configuring the repeater for television reception
If you want to transmit your cable provider's cable TV content to the home network as an IP stream, configure television reception in the FRITZ!Repeater:
- Configure the FRITZ!Repeater for television reception (DVB-C).
4 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Repeater
To optimally increase the range, the FRITZ!Repeater requires a fast and stable wireless connection to the FRITZ!Box:
- Position the FRITZ!Repeater so that at least three of its five signal strength LEDs light up.
Note:If you are using a FRITZ!Box with FRITZ!OS 7, you can use FRITZ!App WLAN to find the ideal place for the FRITZ!Repeater.