FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 300E Service - Knowledge Base
Connecting FRITZ!WLAN Repeater with the home network via LAN
Connect your FRITZ!WLAN Repeater with the home network via LAN to offer wireless access to wireless devices, regardless of the wireless range of your router (for example FRITZ!Box). Alternatively, you can use the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater as a wireless LAN bridge.
If the repeater and wireless router use identical wireless settings, wireless devices can automatically connect to the wireless network with the strongest signal (wireless roaming).
Fig.: Connection scenario for LAN bridge mode
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater factory settings
Before you can configure the following settings, you must return the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater to its factory settings:
- Load the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater factory settings.
2 Connecting a wireless device with the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater
- For setup, plug the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater into an outlet near the wireless router.
- Wait until the "Power" and "WLAN" LEDs on the repeater remain lit.
- Use a wireless device (for example a notebook, smartphone) to search for wireless networks in the vicinity.
- Select the wireless network "FRITZ!WLAN Repeater [...]".
- Enter 00000000 (8 zeros) for the wireless network (password).
3 Configuring the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater as a LAN bridge
- Open the user interface of the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater.
- Set a password to access the user interface, then click "OK" and "Next".
- Enable the option "LAN bridge" and click "Next".
- Select which IP settings the repeater should use and click "Next".
- Enter the wireless settings for the repeater and click "Next".
Important:To ensure optimal security, the password should be at least 20 characters long and contain capital and lower-case letters (but not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, é, í), digits, and other characters.
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
4 Connecting the repeater to the router
- Use a network cable to connect the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater to a LAN port on your router. If you cannot directly connect the devices with a cable, you can also bridge the distance to the router with a powerline connection (for example with FRITZ!Powerline).
5 Selecting the frequency band for the wireless network
The 2.4 GHz frequency band is automatically enabled for the wireless network when the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater is being set up as a LAN bridge. Since the 5 GHz frequency band is affected by interference much less often, you can enable the 5 GHz frequency band if needed.
Note:Not all wireless devices support the 5 GHz frequency band.
FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430, FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860, and FRITZ!WLAN Stick N (v2) support the 5 GHz frequency band.
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the user interface of the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Adjust radio channel settings".
- Select "802.11n+a" from the "Wireless standard" drop-down list to enable the 5 GHz frequency band.
Note:The 2.4 GHz frequency band is enabled with all other wireless standards (for example 802.11n+g+b).
- Confirm the message displayed with "OK".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.