Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the Mesh Repeater (cascading)
You want to connect an additional FRITZ!Repeater to an existing FRITZ!Repeater? ✔ Find out how to cascade them here.
You can cascade several Mesh Repeaters in the Mesh. This type of cascading makes it possible for you to extend your home network in a specific direction beyond the Wi-Fi range of a Mesh Repeater.
This means that not only can you connect your FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), you can also connect it with an already existing Mesh Repeater. It does not matter whether the Mesh Repeater is another FRITZ!Repeater, a FRITZ!Box, or a FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
In this guide we show you how to connect your new FRITZ!Repeater with an already existing Mesh Repeater.
Fig.: Example of wireless cascading with two FRITZ!Repeaters
Requirements / Restrictions
- The existing Mesh Repeater is connected with the Mesh Master and is marked with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the new FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Push and hold down the "Connect" button for 10-15 seconds.
- The LED now indicates by alternately flashing and lighting up that the factory settings are being loaded and that the FRITZ!Repeater will be restarted. This process may take several minutes.
- The LED flashes continuously for at least 1 minute as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Connecting FRITZ!Repeater with a Mesh Repeater at the push of a button
- For setup, plug the new FRITZ!Repeater into a power outlet near the existing Mesh Repeater. Now the new FRITZ!Repeater starts. During this time, the LED flashes rapidly.
- Wait about 1 minute until the new FRITZ!Repeater has started and the LED flashes slower.
- Briefly push the "Connect" button on the new FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. When you release the button, the LED starts to flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the existing Mesh Repeater for the time indicated in the table:
Mesh Repeater Connect button Duration FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890 Connect / WPS about 1 second FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430 WLAN WPS about 6 seconds FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN about 6 seconds FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7580, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS about 1 second FRITZ!Repeater Connect or WPS about 1 second FRITZ!Powerline 1260E Connect about 1 second FRITZ!Powerline 1240E WLAN - WPS
Powerline - Security
about 1 second FRITZ!Powerline 546E, 540E WLAN · WPS about 1 second
- The LED on the new FRITZ!Repeater remains lit as soon as the Wi-Fi connection is established.
3 Integrating the FRITZ!Repeater into the Mesh at the touch of a button
- Briefly push the "Connect" button on the new FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. When you release the button, the LED starts to flash quickly.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up:
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The FRITZ!Repeater is fully integrated into the Mesh about 5 seconds after the LED on the new FRITZ!Repeater glows green.
4 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Repeater
- Position the FRITZ!Repeater so that the LED glows green and not orange. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for FRITZ!Repeater.
How do I cascade FRITZ!Repeaters?
AVM Section Navigation