Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi
You want to connect a FRITZ!Repeater to the FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi? ✓ Here we show you how easy it is.
Connect your FRITZ!Repeater to your FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi to increase the Wi-Fi range of your home network easily and efficiently. The FRITZ!Repeater adopts all of the Wi-Fi settings from the FRITZ!Box, such as access information and guest access, and can be used directly by all of the wireless devices in the home network. If you are using a FRITZ!Box with FRITZ!OS 7 or later, the FRITZ!Repeater is automatically integrated into the Mesh.
In this guide we show you how to easily connect your FRITZ!Repeater with your FRITZ!Box at the touch of a button (WPS - Push Button Configuration).
If you want to connect it manually, proceed as described in the guide Manually connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box home network via Wi-Fi. However, in this case the FRITZ!Repeater is not integrated into the Mesh.
Fig.: Connection scenario for wireless bridge mode
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Push and hold down the "Connect" button for 10-15 seconds.
- The "Connect" LED now indicates by alternately flashing and lighting up that the factory settings are being loaded and that the FRITZ!Repeater will be restarted. This process may take several minutes.
- The "Connect" LED flashes continuously for at least 1 minute as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Setting up the FRITZ!Repeater
If the MAC address filter is enabled in the FRITZ!Box, disable it for the duration of the setup because otherwise the FRITZ!Repeater cannot to connect to the 5 GHz frequency band. The MAC address filter is not enabled in the factory settings:
Setting up the FRITZ!Repeater as a wireless bridge
- For setup, position the FRITZ!Repeater near the FRITZ!Box.
- Wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater has started and the "Connect" LED flashes.
- Briefly push the "Connect" button on the FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second). When you release the button, the "Connect" LED starts to flash quickly.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the FRITZ!Box until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up:
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The Wi-Fi connection is established about 5 seconds after the LED for connection quality lights up.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Repeater
To extend the range as much as possible, the FRITZ!Repeater requires a fast and stable Wi-Fi connection to the FRITZ!Box:
- Position the FRITZ!Repeater so that the LED for connection quality glows green and not orange. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for FRITZ!Repeater.
AVM Section Navigation