Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box via LAN
Connect your FRITZ!Repeater to your FRITZ!Box via LAN to easily and efficiently add an additional wireless access point to your home network. This way you will have ideal wireless reception and high-speed connections to the internet and home network, even when outside the wireless range (WiFi) of your FRITZ!Box.
If you connect the FRITZ!Repeater with a FRITZ!Box with FRITZ!OS 7 or later, the FRITZ!Repeater is automatically integrated into the Mesh during setup. The repeater adopts all of the wireless settings from the FRITZ!Box, such as wireless access information and guest access, and can be used directly by all wireless devices in the home network.
Fig.: Connection scenario for LAN bridge mode
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Push and hold down the "Connect" button for 10-15 seconds.
- The status LED now indicates by alternately flashing and lighting up that the factory settings are being loaded and that the FRITZ!Repeater will be restarted. This process may take several minutes.
- The status LED flashes continuously for at least 1 minute as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box
To set up the FRITZ!Repeater as a LAN bridge, first connect it to the FRITZ!Box via wireless LAN. If you are using a FRITZ!Box with FRITZ!OS 7 or later, the repeater is automatically integrated into the Mesh.
- For setup, plug the FRITZ!Repeater into a power outlet near the FRITZ!Box. If the FRITZ!Repeater is already connected to the home network over LAN, clear this connection.
- Wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater has started and the status LED flashes more slowly.
- Briefly push the "Connect" button on the FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. The status LED starts to flash quickly after you release the button.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the FRITZ!Box until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up:
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 6890, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560 WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- One or more signal strength LEDs on the FRITZ!Repeater remain lit as soon as setup is completed.
3 Configuring the FRITZ!Repeater as a LAN bridge
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the user interface of the FRITZ!Repeater.
- Click the "Change type of connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "LAN bridge" and click "Next".
- Select which IP settings the FRITZ!Repeater should use and click "Next".
- Keep the wireless settings displayed for the FRITZ!Repeater and click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
4 Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the home network
- Connect the FRITZ!Repeater to a LAN port in your home network (for example on a FRITZ!Box, FRITZ!Powerline adapter).
Now the FRITZ!Repeater is configured as a LAN bridge and is available as an additional wireless access point. The FRITZ!Repeater's signal strength LEDs indicate the quality of the wireless connection of the first device to establish a connection to the FRITZ!Repeater's wireless network.
AVM Section Navigation