Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi
You want to connect a FRITZ!Repeater to the FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi? ✓ Here we show you how easy it is.
Connect your FRITZ!Repeater to your FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi to increase the Wi-Fi range of your home network easily and efficiently. If you are using a FRITZ!Box with FRITZ!OS 7 or later, the FRITZ!Repeater is automatically integrated into the Mesh and marked in the FRITZ!Box user interface with the Mesh symbol . The FRITZ!Repeater then adopts all of the settings from the FRITZ!Box, such as Wi-Fi access information and guest access. In the Mesh, your wireless devices automatically connect to the wireless access point that offers the best Wi-Fi reception.
From then on, you can simply make changes in the Mesh in the FRITZ!Box. The FRITZ!Box automatically transmits the new settings to the FRITZ!Repeater. If you still want to access the user interface of the FRITZ!Repeater, use the password from the FRITZ!Box to log in.
In this guide we show you how to easily connect your FRITZ!Repeater with your FRITZ!Box at the touch of a button (WPS - Push Button Configuration).
If you want to connect it manually, proceed as described in the guide Manually connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the FRITZ!Box home network via Wi-Fi. However, in this case the FRITZ!Repeater is not integrated into the Mesh.
Fig.: Connection scenario for wireless bridge mode
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Repeater.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Push and hold down the "Connect" button for about 15 seconds.
- The LED now indicates by alternately flashing and lighting up that the factory settings are being loaded and that the FRITZ!Repeater is being restarted. This process may take several minutes.
- The LED flashes continuously for at least 1 minute as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Setting up the FRITZ!Repeater as a wireless bridge
- For setup, plug the FRITZ!Repeater into a power outlet near the FRITZ!Box. Now the FRITZ!Repeater starts. During this time, the LED flashes rapidly.
- Wait about 1 minute until the FRITZ!Repeater has started and the LED flashes slower.
- Briefly push the "Connect" button on the FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second). When you release the button, the LED starts to flash quickly.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connection button on the FRITZ!Box until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up:
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530 AX, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6850, 6660, 5530 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- Integration into the Mesh is complete about 5 seconds after the LED remains lit.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Repeater
To extend the range as much as possible, the FRITZ!Repeater requires a fast and stable Wi-Fi connection to the FRITZ!Box:
- Position the FRITZ!Repeater so that the LED glows green and not orange. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for FRITZ!Repeater.
AVM Section Navigation