FRITZ!Powerline 546E Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up FRITZ!Powerline as a wireless bridge
In the "Wireless bridge" mode, FRITZ!Powerline increases the wireless range of your wireless router (for example a FRITZ!Box) and makes it possible for network devices with LAN ports (for example a media receiver for IPTV, game console) to access your home network and Internet connection over wireless LAN (WiFi).
In this case, FRITZ!Powerline and the wireless router are connected over wireless LAN; this means that you do not need to connect these two devices with a cable, nor do you need a second powerline adapter.
Fig.: Connection scenario for wireless bridge mode
Requirements / Restrictions
- FRITZ!Powerline is located somewhere where the quality of the FRITZ!Box's wireless network is good.
- The wireless transmission speed of wireless devices connected to FRITZ!Powerline is halved because all data packets must be transmitted twice in wireless bridge mode.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for FRITZ!Powerline.
Briefly disabling the MAC address filter
The wireless router's MAC address filter may not be enabled during configuration:
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. You can find information on configuring a different router in its manual, or consult the manufacturer directly.
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Security" or "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Allow all new wireless devices".
- Click "Apply" to save your settings.
The FRITZ!Box's MAC address filter is now disabled. You can re-enable it as soon as you have completed the configuration of the wireless connection between FRITZ!Powerline and the FRITZ!Box.
Connecting FRITZ!Box to FRITZ!Powerline using a network cable
- Use a network cable to connect FRITZ!Powerline to a LAN port on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring a wireless bridge
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the user interface of FRITZ!Powerline.
- Click the "Change type of connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "Wireless bridge" and click "Next".
- In the list of "Radio Networks (WLANs) Found", select the FRITZ!Box whose wireless network you would like to extend with FRITZ!Powerline and click "Next".
- Select the type of wireless encryption and the WPA mode.
- Enter the network key for the wireless network and click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to save your settings.
If you did not assign a password to your FRITZ!Powerline yet, then the adapter takes on the password and user name, if applicable, of the FRITZ!Box user interface if the latest FRITZ!OS is installed on both devices.
The "WLAN" LED on FRITZ!Powerline remains lit once the configuration of the wireless connection has been completed. You can then unplug FRITZ!Powerline and plug it in wherever you wish. FRITZ!Powerline's settings remain intact even when it is unplugged.
3 Connecting a network device to FRITZ!Powerline
You can connect game consoles, computers, smartphones, or other network devices to FRITZ!Powerline either by means of a network cable or over wireless LAN:
Connecting a network device to FRITZ!Powerline with a network cable
- Use a network cable to connect the network device to a LAN port on FRITZ!Powerline.
Connecting a network device to FRITZ!Powerline over wireless LAN
- Set up the wireless connection to FRITZ!Powerline.