Powerline connection drops frequently
The powerline connection between two or more FRITZ!Powerline adapters drops frequently.
1 Installing the latest firmware for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
- Install the latest firmware on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
2 Checking whether the FRITZ!Powerline adapters are working properly
To make sure the FRITZ!Powerline adapters are not defective, plug them into a power strip:
- Take two FRITZ!Powerline adapters between which the powerline connection drops frequently and plug them in next to each other on a power strip.
- Remove all other devices from the power strip.
- Unplug all of the other powerline adapters in your home network.
- Use a network cable to connect a FRITZ!Powerline adapter to your router (for example a FRITZ!Box).
- Check the event log of your routers for error messages (for example, a FRITZ!Box might display "Disconnected the powerline adapter [...]").
3 Reducing interference in the home's power supply
Interference in the home's power supply can severely impair communication between powerline adapters. Try to minimize the interference or eliminate it completely:
- Plug the FRITZ!Powerline adapter directly into a wall outlet; do not use it with a power strip or an extension cord.
- Avoid powerline connections on different phases, fuse boxes, and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI).
- Do not use the FRITZ!Powerline adapter behind a surge protector.
- For testing purposes, switch off other devices or briefly unplug them in order to identify possible sources of interference and then minimize them.
Examples of possible sources of interference are switch mode power supplies, dimmers, halogen systems and energy-saving lamps, as well as electric motors when they are running (for example in refrigerators, food processors, dryers, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, or drills).
- Make sure that cables carrying a VDSL signal are laid at least 10 cm away from electrical wiring and outlets.
- Test different wall outlets and reduce the distance between the FRITZ!Powerline adapters.
AVM Section Navigation