The connection between the FRITZ!Powerline adapters within a powerline network is encrypted with a password (AES 128-bit) and thus protected from unauthorized access. In order to communicate with each other, all of the powerline adapters must use the same network password.
If you bought FRITZ!Powerline adapters in a set, they already use the same network password in the factory settings and do not require any additional settings before being used.
If you bought FRITZ!Powerline adapters individually or now just want to add another powerline adapter to your powerline network, you must adjust the network password in order to connect the powerline adapters with each other.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
Requirements / Restrictions
- If all of the powerline adapters in the powerline network have data rates of at least 1000 Mbit/s, you can connect a maximum of 64 powerline adapters with each other.
- If there are also powerline adapters with data rates lower than 1000 Mbit/s in the powerline network, you can connect a maximum of 16 powerline adapters with each other. The number is reduced to 12 if a FRITZ!Powerline model 510E / 530E / 540E or 546E is used.
Adjusting the network password
Adjust the network password quickly and easily at the touch of a button. Then the FRITZ!Powerline adapters connect with each other automatically:
Note:FRITZ!Powerline adapters automatically recognize whether they are already in a powerline network or should join it. It therefore does not matter whether you first push the button for the powerline connection on a powerline adapter that is already in the network, or on a powerline adapter that should be added to the network.
- For setup, plug two FRITZ!Powerline adapters into power outlets in the same room.
- If you are using a FRITZ!Powerline adapter with wireless support, wait about 1 minute until the "WLAN" LED remains lit.
- Briefly push the "Security" or "Powerline · Security" or "Connect" button on the FRITZ!Powerline adapters.
- When you release the button, the "Powerline" LED starts to flash. Depending on the FRITZ!Powerline model, various other LEDs flash simultaneously.
- The process is completed and the FRITZ!Powerline adapters are connected with each other as soon as the "Powerline" LED remains lit.
- Plug the FRITZ!Powerline adapters into the desired wall outlets.
Note:Always plug powerline adapters directly into wall outlets and not into power strips because the additional resistance and interference from other devices plugged into the power strip impair the powerline connection.
- Repeat steps 3 - 6 for the other FRITZ!Powerline adapters you want to add to the powerline network.
AVM Section Navigation