FRITZ!Powerline 1240E Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick N v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430 MU-MIMO
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430
Wireless range is too low
The range of the wireless connection (WiFi) between a notebook, smartphone, or another wireless device and the FRITZ!Powerline adapter is too low. Even at a short distance from the FRITZ!Powerline adapter, web pages load slowly, it takes a long time to download files, and video streams are not played correctly, for example.
- Surrounding structural conditions (such as thickness and reinforcement of the walls) as well as other electronic devices such as wireless speakers and baby monitors influence the quality and therefore the range of the wireless connection.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
2 Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update) or the latest operating system (for example Android, iOS) for the wireless device.
Note:Information on the update can be obtained from the device's manufacturer, for example refer to the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
- Do not place the FRITZ!Powerline adapter directly in the corner of a room.
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and other wireless devices. Especially metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.
4 Changing the name of the wireless network (SSID)
If there are other wireless networks with the same name in the immediate vicinity, wireless devices may automatically attempt to connect to the wrong wireless network. To avoid this, give the FRITZ!Powerline adapter a unique name:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the user interface of FRITZ!Powerline.
- Click "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enter a unique name for the "Name of the wireless radio network (SSID)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
All wireless connections are cleared when you apply the new wireless network name. You must then reconfigure the wireless connections to the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
Now the FRITZ!Powerline adapter is ideally configured. If the wireless range is still too low despite these measures, the wireless environment is causing the issue and cannot be further influenced by the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
Note:You can use a FRITZ!Repeater to quickly and easily increase the range and stability of the wireless network.