FRITZ!Powerline 1240E Service - Knowledge Base
Wireless device cannot find FRITZ!Powerline's wireless network
A notebook, smartphone, tablet, or another wireless device cannot find the FRITZ!Powerline adapter's wireless network (WiFi). When it searches for wireless networks, it does not display the name of the FRITZ!Powerline adapter's wireless network (SSID).
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Enabling the wireless network
The following step is only necessary if the "WLAN" LED on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter is not lit:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the user interface of FRITZ!Powerline.
- Click "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Wireless radio network enabled".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Enabling the wireless network adapter
Some notebooks have a special switch or a key combination that can be used to switch integrated wireless network adapters on and off:
- Enable the wireless adapter of the wireless device that you want to connect to FRITZ!Powerline's wireless network.
Note:Refer to the manufacturer of the device for information on enabling it, for example consult the manual.
3 Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update) or the latest operating system (for example Android, iOS) for the wireless device.
Note:Refer to the manufacturer of the device for information on how to update it, for example consult the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
4 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
- Do not position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter directly in the corner of a room.
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and other wireless devices. Especially metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter away from other radio transmitters, for a example microwave, wireless speakers, or a Bluetooth device.
5 Testing a different wireless device
- Check whether a different wireless device can find the FRITZ!Powerline adapter's wireless network.
If the second wireless device can find the FRITZ!Powerline adapter's wireless network, then the first wireless device may be defective.