Setting up the FRITZ!Box for use with another DSL modem
With a ADSL or VDSL modem from another manufacturer, you can use your FRITZ!Box even if it does not support the DSL standard used by your internet connection.
Since the FRITZ!Box establishes and controls its own internet connection over the modem, all FRITZ!Box functions (such as internet telephony, firewall) are also available without restriction in this operating mode.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Connecting the FRITZ!Box to the modem and computer
- Connect the modem to your internet connection according to the instructions provided by your internet service provider.
- Use a network cable to connect the LAN port on the modem to the "WAN" port on the FRITZ!Box.
- Either use wireless LAN or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring the internet connection in the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Check whether your internet service provider is displayed in the drop-down list. With some regional settings, not all of the preconfigured internet providers are displayed until you select "More internet service providers".
- If your internet service provider is displayed:
- Select your internet service provider and enter the account information you received from your internet service provider in the corresponding fields.
- Click "Change connection settings".
- Enable the option "Via an external modem" in the "Internet connection" section. If the option is not displayed, enable the Advanced View.
- If your internet service provider is not displayed:
- Select "Other internet service provider".
- Enable the option "Connection to an external modem or router" in the "Connection" area.
- Enable the option "Establish own connection to the internet" in the "Operating Mode" section.
- Enter the internet account information you received from your internet service provider in the relevant fields. If account information is not required, enable the option "No".
- If your internet service provider requires you to use a particular VLAN ID, click "Change connection settings", enable the option "Use VLAN for internet access", and enter the VLAN ID.
- Enter the speeds of your internet connection in the "Downstream" and "Upstream" fields.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box uses the account information you entered to establish the internet connection. Then you can configure your telephone numbers in the FRITZ!Box and connect your wireless devices with the FRITZ!Box.
3 Setting up telephony in the FRITZ!Box
If you received login data for internet telephony from a provider and want to use telephones with the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the internet telephone numbers in the FRITZ!Box.
AVM Section Navigation