Configuring "Existing connection over Wi-Fi " in the FRITZ!Box
You can connect the FRITZ!Box to a wireless router (for example belonging to a neighbor) over Wi-Fi so that all of the network devices in the FRITZ!Box home network can use the router's internet connection.
In this case, the FRITZ!Box functions as a router itself and and provides its own network with its own network address range. You can use the wireless router's Wi-Fi network, or you can also use the FRITZ!Box's Wi-Fi network with its separate security settings.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The wireless router must use the 2.4 GHz frequency band.
- The FRITZ!Box must use a different IP network than the wireless router.
Note:If the FRITZ!Box's IP settings are the factory settings, they are automatically adjusted when you set up the connection via Wi-Fi (IP network: 192.168.188.0, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0).
- Devices connected to the wireless router cannot access devices connected to the FRITZ!Box.
- You can no longer set up Wi-Fi connections to the FRITZ!Box with WPS (the push button method), and you can only establish connections in the 2.4 GHz frequency band if the FRITZ!Box is connected to the wireless router.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the operating mode
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Select "Existing connection over Wi-Fi" from the drop-down list "Internet service provider".
- In the "Wireless Devices" section, use the name of the Wi-Fi network (SSID) to select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect the FRITZ!Box to. If the Wi-Fi network is not listed, click the "Refresh List" button first.
- If the wireless router's Wi-Fi network is protected with a password, enter it in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box and the wireless router are connected via Wi-Fi. All network devices in the FRITZ!Box home network can use the router's internet connection.
2 Setting up telephony
If you want to connect telephones to the FRITZ!Box and then use the internet connection of the other router or a landline to conduct calls with them:
- Set up the FRITZ!Box to conduct telephone calls over the other router.
AVM Section Navigation