Connecting FRITZ!Powerline with a Mesh Repeater (cascading)
You can cascade several Mesh Repeaters in the Mesh. This type of cascading makes it possible for you to extend your home network in a specific direction beyond the Wi-Fi range of a Mesh Repeater.
This means that not only can you connect your FRITZ!Powerline adapter with the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), you can also connect it with an already existing Mesh Repeater. It does not matter whether the Mesh Repeater is another FRITZ!Powerline adapter, a FRITZ!Box, or a FRITZ!Repeater.
In this guide we show you how to connect your new FRITZ!Powerline adapter with an already existing Mesh Repeater.
Fig.: Example of wireless cascading with FRITZ!Repeater and FRITZ!Powerline
Requirements / Restrictions
- The existing Mesh Repeater is connected with the Mesh Master and is marked with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
- FRITZ!OS 7 or later is installed on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Loading the factory settings of the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
In order to perform the following steps, the new FRITZ!Powerline adapter must be set to factory settings:
- Push the corresponding button on the device:
Model Button Duration FRITZ!Powerline 540E / 546E "WLAN/WPS" and "Powerline · Security" 10 seconds FRITZ!Powerline 1240E "WLAN-WPS/Powerline · Security" 15 seconds FRITZ!Powerline 1260E "Connect" 15 seconds
- All of the LEDs flash once during this process. The "Power" LED or "WLAN" LED remains lit as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Connecting the FRITZ!Powerline adapter with the home network
- Use a network cable to connect the new FRITZ!Powerline adapter to a LAN port on the existing Mesh Repeater.
3 Setting up the FRITZ!Powerline adapter as an additional Mesh Repeater
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the user interface of FRITZ!Powerline.
- Click the "Change type of connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "Wireless bridge" and click "Next".
- In the table, use the MAC address to select the Wi-Fi network of the existing Mesh Repeater and click "Next".
Note:You can find the MAC address under "Wireless > Radio Network" in the user interface of the Mesh Repeater.
- Enter the wireless access information of the Mesh Repeater and click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
- The "WLAN" LED on the new FRITZ!Powerline adapter remains lit as soon as setup is completed.
- Clear the LAN connection between the new FRITZ!Powerline adapter and the home network.
4 Integrating FRITZ!Powerline adapter into the Mesh at the touch of a button
- Briefly push the connect button on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. When you release the connect button, all of the LEDs start to flash.
FRITZ!Powerline model Connect button FRITZ!Powerline 1260E Connect FRITZ!Powerline 1240E WLAN - WPS
Powerline - Security
FRITZ!Powerline 546E WLAN · WPS FRITZ!Powerline 540E
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the FRITZ!Powerline adapter with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
5 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
To extend the range as much as possible, the new FRITZ!Powerline adapter requires a fast and stable Wi-Fi connection to the existing Mesh Repeater:
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter where the quality of the Mesh Repeater's wireless signal is good. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for the Mesh Repeater.
AVM Section Navigation