FRITZ!Box reports "PPPoE error"
When in router mode, the FRITZ!Box cannot establish an internet connection. One of the following error messages is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
- "PPPoE error: DSL synchronization lost [...]"
- "PPPoE error: Incorrect parameter [...]"
- "PPPoE error: Incorrect service name [...]"
- "PPPoE error: Illegal packet from PPPoE server [...]"
- "PPPoE error: PPPoE server reports a system error [...]"
- "PPPoE error: PPPoE server reports a problem [...]"
- "PPPoE error: Unknown error [...]"
- "PPPoE error: Timeout [...]"
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Checking DSL synchronization
The following step is only necessary if the FRITZ!Box is connected directly to a DSL line:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "Internet connection" from the drop-down list.
- If the message "DSL is not available" or "DSL not responding" is displayed before each PPPoE error, follow the instructions in our guide DSL connection drops frequently.
2 Correcting the settings for your internet connection
The following step is only necessary if "Other internet service provider" was selected for the internet connection:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click "Change connection settings".
- If your internet service provider requires you to use a VLAN ID, enable the option "Use VLAN for internet access" and enter the VLAN ID.
- Enable the option "Set manually" in the "DSL ATM Settings" section.
- Enter the parameters required by your internet service provider in the "VCI" and "VPI" fields.
- Enable the option "PPPoE".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
3 Contacting your provider
- Contact your internet service provider for a solution.
AVM Section Navigation