Connecting the FRITZ!Box with the Mesh Repeater (cascading)
You can cascade several Mesh Repeaters in the Mesh. This type of cascading makes it possible for you to extend your home network in a specific direction beyond the Wi-Fi range of a Mesh Repeater.
This means that not only can you connect your FRITZ!Box with the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), you can also connect it with an already existing Mesh Repeater. It does not matter whether the Mesh Repeater is another FRITZ!Box, a FRITZ!Repeater, or a FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
In this guide we show you how to connect your new FRITZ!Box with an already existing Mesh Repeater.
Fig.: Example of Wi-Fi cascading with FRITZ!Repeater and FRITZ!Box
Requirements / Restrictions
- The existing Mesh Repeater is connected with the Mesh Master and is marked with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh Overview.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Determining the MAC address of the existing Mesh Repeater
- Click "Wi-Fi" in the user interface of the Mesh Repeater.
- Click on "Wi-Fi Network" in the "Wi-Fi" menu.
- The MAC address is listed in the section "Active Frequency Bands".
2 Connecting the FRITZ!Box with the existing Mesh Repeater
Connecting the FRITZ!Box
- Use Wi-Fi or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box that you want to integrate into the Mesh for the first time.
- If the computer is already connected to another device in the home network, clear that connection.
Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mesh" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Mesh Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater".
- Enable the option "This FRITZ!Box is a network device (IP client) in the home network [...]".
- If you want to use a network cable to connect the new FRITZ!Box to the existing Mesh Repeater:
- Enable the option "via LAN".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- Use a network cable to connect the LAN port on the new FRITZ!Box either directly to a LAN port on the Mesh Repeater, or by means of a hub or switch.
- If you want to use Wi-Fi to connect the new FRITZ!Box to the existing Mesh Repeater:
- Enable the option "via Wi-Fi".
- In the table, use the MAC address to select the Wi-Fi network of the Mesh Repeater.
- Enter the Mesh Repeater's network key in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
3 Adding a FRITZ!Box to the Mesh
To add the new FRITZ!Box to the Mesh, you simply have to push a button on the new FRITZ!Box and the Mesh Master. Then the new FRITZ!Box is automatically integrated into the Mesh via the network connection to the Mesh Master:
- Push and hold down the connect button on the new FRITZ!Box (see table) until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED (see table) lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530 AX, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6850, 6660, 5530 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the new FRITZ!Box with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
4 Setting up telephony in the Mesh
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the Mesh Master with telephones connected to the new FRITZ!Box:
5 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
If the new FRITZ!Box is connected to the existing Mesh Repeater via Wi-Fi:
- Select a location for the FRITZ!Box where the quality of the Mesh Repeater's Wi-Fi signal is good. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for the Mesh Repeater.
AVM Section Navigation