FRITZ!Box 7582 Service - Knowledge Base
Telephone connected to FRITZ!Box is dead
When you pick up the handset of a telephone connected to an analog extension of the FRITZ!Box, it does not make a sound (for example a dial tone or busy signal). The telephone is "dead".
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
1 Plugging the FRITZ!Box in
- Plug the FRITZ!Box into an electrical outlet where other devices work.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
3 Configuring an analog telephone
Using only one connection option
"FON 1" and "FON 2" both have two options for connecting devices: An RJ11 socket and a TAE socket for the respective port. Only one connection option can be used at a time:
If you connected a telephone to the RJ11 socket for "FON 1", you cannot connect a device (for example a telephone, answering machine) to the TAE socket for "FON 1".
- If devices are connected to both of the sockets for the same extension, remove one of the devices from the FRITZ!Box.
Testing a different analog telephone
- Disconnect the telephone from the FRITZ!Box.
- Connect a different telephone to the same port on the FRITZ!Box.
- If you hear a sound, then the first telephone is defective or the cable of the telephone is damaged or incorrectly wired. Try using a different cable or contact the manufacturer of the telephone.
- If you do not hear a sound, check whether the plug of your telephone is correctly wired. The two inner pins carry the analog signal of the RJ11 sockets "FON 1" and "FON 2".
4 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.