FRITZ!Box 7582 Service - Knowledge Base
Connecting the FRITZ!Box with the Mesh Repeater (cascading)
You can cascade several Mesh Repeaters in the Mesh. This type of cascading makes it possible for you to extend your home network in a specific direction beyond the wireless range of a Mesh Repeater.
This means that in addition to connecting your FRITZ!Box with the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), you can also connect it with an already existing Mesh Repeater. It does not matter whether the Mesh Repeater is another FRITZ!Box, a FRITZ!Repeater, or a FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
In this guide we show you how to connect your new FRITZ!Box with an already existing Mesh Repeater.
Fig.: Wireless cascading with FRITZ!Box
Requirements / Restrictions
- The existing Mesh Repeater is connected with the Mesh Master and is marked with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
- The existing Mesh Repeater is equipped with a LAN port.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
- Use wireless LAN or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box that you want to integrate into the Mesh for the first time.
- If the computer is already connected to another device in the home network, clear that connection.
2 Setting up the FRITZ!Box as an additional Mesh Repeater
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click on "Mesh Networking" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Mesh Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Mesh Repeater" in the "Mesh Operating Mode" section.
- Enable the option "This FRITZ!Box is a network device (IP client) in the home network [...]".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- Use a network cable to connect the "WAN" port on the new FRITZ!Box either directly to a LAN port on the existing Mesh Repeater, or by means of a hub or switch.
3 Integrating the FRITZ!Box into the Mesh at the touch of a button
To integrate the new FRITZ!Box into the Mesh, you simply have to push a button on the new FRITZ!Box and the Mesh Master. Then the new FRITZ!Box is automatically integrated into the Mesh via the network connection to the Mesh Master:
- Push and hold down the connect button on the new FRITZ!Box (see table) until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED (see table) lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the new FRITZ!Box with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
4 Setting up telephony in the Mesh
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the Mesh Master with telephones connected to the new FRITZ!Box: