Setting up the FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater
You can set up your FRITZ!Box for use as a Mesh Repeater and use a network cable to integrate it into the Mesh of your FRITZ!Box with internet access (Mesh Master) to easily and efficiently increase the range of your home network.
As a Mesh Repeater, the FRITZ!Box automatically adopts all of the wireless settings from the Mesh Master (for example access data, guest access, schedule) and creates an additional wireless network (WiFi) that enables your devices to connect to the home network. In addition, the telephone numbers entered in the Mesh Master can be activated for the Mesh Repeater and used by telephone devices configured in it.
As soon as the Mesh Repeater is integrated into the Mesh, it is marked with the Mesh symbol in the user interface of the Mesh Master:
Fig.: Mesh overview of the Mesh Master with FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater
Requirements / Restrictions
- FRITZ!OS 7 or later is installed on the Mesh Master.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Setting up the FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater
- Use wireless LAN or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box that you want to set up as the Mesh Repeater.
- If the computer is already connected to the Mesh Master, clear that connection.
Configuring the operating mode
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click on "Mesh Networking" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Mesh Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Mesh Repeater" in the "Mesh Operating Mode" section.
- Enable the option "This FRITZ!Box is a network device (IP client) in the home network [...]".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- Use a network cable to connect the "WAN" port on the FRITZ!Box either directly to a LAN port on the Mesh Master, or by means of a hub or switch.
2 Integrating the Mesh repeater into the Mesh at the touch of a button
- Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Repeater (see table) until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED (see table) lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the Mesh Repeater with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
3 Setting up telephony in the Mesh
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the Mesh Master with telephones connected to the Mesh Repeater:
AVM Section Navigation