FRITZ!Box 7581 Service - Knowledge Base
Telephone connected to FRITZ!Box is dead
When you pick up the handset of a telephone connected to an analog extension of the FRITZ!Box, it does not make a sound (for example a dial tone or busy signal). The telephone is "dead".
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Plugging the FRITZ!Box in
- Plug the FRITZ!Box into a power outlet where other devices work.
2 Configuring an analog telephone
Using only one connection option
"FON 1" and "FON 2" both have two options for connecting devices: You can either use the RJ11 socket or the TAE socket for the respective extension. You can only use one connection option at a time:
If you connected a telephone to the RJ11 socket for "FON 1", you cannot connect a device (for example a telephone, answering machine) to the TAE socket for "FON 1".
- If you connected devices to both of the sockets for the same extension, remove one of the devices from the FRITZ!Box.
Testing a different analog telephone
- Disconnect the telephone from the FRITZ!Box.
- Connect a different telephone to the same port on the FRITZ!Box.
- If you hear a sound, then the first telephone is defective or the cable of the telephone is damaged or incorrectly wired. Try using a different cable or contact the manufacturer of the telephone.
- If you do not hear a sound, check whether the plug of your telephone is correctly wired. The two inner pins carry the analog signal of the RJ11 sockets "FON 1" and "FON 2".
3 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.