FRITZ!Box 7581 Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot update FRITZ!OS because you are asked to enter a password
During the FRITZ!Box's online update or when you click the "Save Settings" button you are always asked to enter the password for the FRITZ!Box user interface. This prevents you from installing the FRITZ!OS update.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Unplug your FRITZ!Box by removing the power cable from the electrical outlet.
- Plug it in again after 5 seconds.
Note:The FRITZ!Box settings remain intact. The restart will take about 2 minutes. During this time, you cannot access the FRITZ!Box.
2 Temporarily deactivating password protection
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" in the "System" menu.
- Enable the option "No login (not recommended)" on the "Login to the Home Network" tab.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
If you were able to successfully complete the update, you can re-enable password protection.
3 Clearing the cache of your web browser
- Clear the cache of your web browser:
- Google Chrome
- Click the button (Customize and control Google Chrome) on the top right of Chrome.
- Click "More tools" and then "Clear browsing data...".
- Select "the beginning of time" in the "Clear browsing data" window.
- Select "Cookies and other site and plugin data" and "Cached images and files".
- Click "Clear browsing data".
- Mozilla Firefox
- Click the (open menu) button on the top right of Firefox.
- Click "History" and then "Clear Recent History".
- Select "Everything" and click "Clear Now".
- Microsoft Edge
- Click the button (More actions) in the top right corner of Edge and then click "Settings".
- Click "Choose what to clear" under "Clear browsing data".
- Enable the option "Cached data and files" and click "Clear".
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Click the button (tools) on the top right of the Internet Explorer.
- Click "Internet Options" and then "General".
- Click the "Delete" button.
- Enable the option "Temporary Internet files" and click "Delete".
- Apple Safari
- Click "Safari" in Safari's menu bar and then click "Preferences".
- Click "Advanced" in the settings and enable the option "Show 'Develop' menu in menu bar".
- Click "Develop" in the menu bar and then click "Empty Caches".
- Click "Safari" in the menu bar and then click "Reset Safari".
- Click the "Reset" button in the next window.
- Google Chrome