FRITZ!Box 7581 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
FRITZ!Box reports "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth"
Computers, smartphones, or other wireless devices display a low speed for the wireless connection (WiFi) to the FRITZ!Box's 2.4 GHz frequency band displayed. The following message is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
- "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth (2.4 GHz)"
- The FRITZ!Box recognizes when the wireless channels it uses in the 2.4 GHz frequency band are in heavy use by other wireless networks. To ensure stable wireless connections, it automatically reduces the channel bandwidth from 40 MHz to 20 MHz. This FRITZ!Box behavior is conform to wireless coexistence.
Although wireless devices then display a lower data rate, the user data rate is increased because there is less interference and the wireless connection is no longer affected by constant retransmissions.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Automatically configuring wireless channel settings
Configure the following settings so that the FRITZ!Box checks the wireless environment at regular intervals and can automatically avoid interference:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
2 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, place the FRITZ!Box in a central location. FRITZ!Box has omnidirectional antennas. The wireless signal is therefore emitted spherically in all directions.
- Do not place the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Place the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and the wireless devices. Even small objects in the immediate vicinity of your FRITZ!Box can greatly reduce the coverage area of the wireless signal. Metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Place the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.
Now the FRITZ!Box automatically selects the best wireless channel settings. If the message "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth (2.4 GHz)" is still displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box, this is because all of the wireless channels in the 2.4 GHz frequency band are in heavy use by adjacent wireless networks.