FRITZ!Box 7581 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
Parental controls incorrectly block internet access
The FRITZ!Box blocks a computer, smartphone, or another device from accessing the internet, although the device should have been able to access the internet at the time the error occurred. The following messages are displayed:
- In a web browser on the device: "Internet access is blocked."
- In the FRITZ!Box user interface: "Parental controls blocked. FRITZ!Box has prevented an attempt to evade parental controls. During this process it was necessary to block internet access."
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
If the device does not obtain its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box via DHCP, the FRITZ!Box assumes that a change in the IP address means that an attempt was made to evade parental controls. In this case, it completely blocks internet access for the device.
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
3 Device is not directly connected to the FRITZ!Box
If the device is connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of an additional router (for example an additional FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater, a wireless router or wireless repeater in Universal Repeater Mode), the device's communication with the FRITZ!Box is altered. This then leads it to assume that an attempt to deceive it is being made, which causes it to then completely block internet access for this device.
Note:If you use an additional router to connect the device, the other router does not transmit the device's MAC address to the FRITZ!Box. Since the FRITZ!Box uses a combination of IP address and MAC address to identify each device, it interprets requests from the same MAC address in combination with different IP addresses as an attempt to evade the parental controls.
One of the following measures can resolve this problem:
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
Starting with FRITZ!OS 6, FRITZ!Boxes, FRITZ!WLAN Repeaters, and FRITZ!Powerline adapters transmit information about devices connected to them to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection. This allows you to use the parental controls function with devices that are connected to the FRITZ!Box by means of an additional FRITZ!product.
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on all of your FRITZ!products. You can update the FRITZ!OS of your FRITZ!Box as described in this guide.
Connecting the device directly to the FRITZ!Box
- Either use a network cable or wireless LAN to connect the device directly to the FRITZ!Box.