FRITZ!Box 7581 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
Answering machine does not record new messages
Although you enabled the "Record messages" mode for the FRITZ!Box's answering machine, the answering machine does not record any messages. Callers cannot leave messages and hear the greeting "Hello. No one is available to answer your call at the moment. Please call again later", for example. FRITZ!Fon displays the message "TAM memory full!".
- Either no more memory is available or the maximum number of messages has been reached.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Deleting messages
- Delete old messages. If you enabled automatic email forwarding, then you can opt to have messages automatically deleted from the answering machine after they have been forwarded.
2 Turning the telephone off and then on again
The following steps are only necessary if you are using a FRITZ!Fon:
- Hold down the end call key (red handset) to turn the telephone off, and then turn it on again.
3 Connecting a USB storage device to the FRITZ!Box and configuring it
If a USB storage device is connected to the USB port on the FRITZ!Box and you have enabled it for the answering machine, then the answering machine can record up to 254 messages. If you do not connect a USB storage device, then we cannot guarantee a minimum number of messages that can be recorded or a minimum recording length:
Connecting a USB storage device to the FRITZ!Box
- Connect the USB storage device to a USB port on the FRITZ!Box.
Note:The FRITZ!Box supplies USB devices with a total of up to 900 mA in accordance with the USB 3.0 specification. Connect devices that require more power to the FRITZ!Box by means of a USB hub with its own power supply (active USB hub).
Configuring the USB storage device to recording messages
- Click "Telephony" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Answering Machine" in the "Telephony" menu.
- Select the answering machine you would like to configure.
- Click the "Settings" button.
- Click "Additional Settings".
- Enable the option "Use USB storage medium to increase recording capacity" in the "Messages" section.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
4 Testing a different USB storage device
The USB storage device may be defective or incorrectly formatted:
- Connect a different USB storage device - preferably a USB memory stick - to the FRITZ!Box for testing purposes.