FRITZ!Box 7581 Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box indicates numerous DSL connection errors
You are experiencing problems with your DSL connection due to numerous errors on the FRITZ!Box's end or at your DSL internet service provider's exchange. As a result, internet access over the FRITZ!Box is very slow (when you open web pages or download files, for example) or problems occur when you conduct internet calls or play back videos (for example IPTV or video on demand).
- The throughput and stability of the DSL connection primarily depend on length and quality of the access line. Faults in the cabling or problems with the internet service provider's exchange (DSLAM) can also affect it.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Checking the cabling
It is often difficult to recognize mistakes in the cabling and they can remain unnoticed for a long time. Therefore, check the wiring in your home:
- Remove the DSL splitter if you are using the FRITZ!Box on an IP-based connection.
- Remove all cable extensions, unused cables, telephone jacks, and additional electrical components (for example surge protection, automatic extension outlets).
- Make sure that the FRITZ!Box is correctly connected to your DSL line. You will find detailed instructions on the installation poster included with the FRITZ!Box and in the manual.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS makes your FRITZ!Box compatible with the latest DSL technology used by DSL providers in their DSL exchanges:
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
3 Checking the DSL line
There may be a problem with the DSL line. Since it may take a while for your DSL provider to check your line, you may be charged for the service, and our experience shows that there is often a problem with DSL lines even if they have been checked by your provider, proceed as follows:
- Either: Check whether you also experience problems with your internet connection if you use a different DSL modem on your DSL line.
- Or: Test whether you experience problems when you use the FRITZ!Box to access the internet on a different DSL line (for example at your neighbor's).
- If you also experience problems when you use a different DSL modem, or the FRITZ!Box can establish an error-free DSL connection on a different line, have your provider check your line.
ATTENTION!You may be charged for checking. Ask your provider about charges in advance!