- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583 VDSL
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
Media files are not displayed
When accessing the FRITZ!Box Media Server, playback devices or software do not display media files although they are available on the FRITZ!Box's storage (NAS).
- The FRITZ!Box did not index the files or the FRITZ!Box does not support the file format (for example audio, video, and container format).
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Updating the file index
The FRITZ!Box only indexes files automatically if they are copied to http://fritz.nas using a web browser. Files copied to a USB storage device connected to the FRITZ!Box using the Windows Explorer or other applications are not displayed until the FRITZ!Box's file index is updated.
Use the FRITZ!Box user interface, a FRITZ!Fon, or a playback device or software that supports UPnP (for example a smartphone with VLC media player to update the file index:
Updating the file index using the FRITZ!Box user interface
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Storage (NAS)" in the "Home Network" menu.
- In the table "Storage on the FRITZ!Box", click on "not created" or "was created" for every storage listed that contains files.
Using FRITZ!Fon to update the file index
- Press the "Menu" key on the telephone.
- Select "Home Network" and press "OK".
- "Media player" > "OK" > "AVM FRITZ!Mediaserver" > "OK" > "File index" > "OK" > "Start Indexing"
Updating the file index using UPnP
- Call up the FRITZ!Box media server on a playback device or software that supports UPnP.
- Click "File Index" and then "Start Indexing".
Now the FRITZ!Box indexes all of the media files. Depending on the number of media files, it may take a long time to index them; the process is completed when the message "Indexing: successful" or "was created" is displayed.
3 Folder "FRITZ" is not indexed
The FRITZ!Box does not index files in the folder "FRITZ" because it uses the directory "FRITZ" as a cache and for its database files, for example for the media server. Here the FRITZ!Box only shows received faxes and voice messages recorded by the answering machine (faxbox, voicebox), but not the folder "mediabox" or other files and directories.
If you saved files in the folder "FRITZ" or a subfolder of "FRITZ", set up the storage as a network drive and move the files to another directory.
4 File format is not supported
Media files use many different file formats, not all of which are supported by the FRITZ!Box Media Server. You can find an overview of the file formats supported by the media server in this guide.
Playback devices or software display media files whose file formats are supported by the FRITZ!Box Media Server. However, media files whose TAG information the FRITZ!Box cannot interpret will only be displayed in the view "Folder" and "All tracks", "All videos" or "All images" (depending on the file type).
Playback devices or software do not display media files whose file format is not supported by the FRITZ!Box Media Server.
AVM Section Navigation