FRITZ!Box 7560 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick N v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430 MU-MIMO
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G
Wireless range is too low
The range of the wireless connection (WiFi) between a notebook, smartphone, or another wireless device and your FRITZ!Box is too low. Even at a short distance from the FRITZ!Box, web pages load slowly, it takes a long time to download files, and video streams are not played correctly, for example.
- Surrounding structural conditions (such as thickness and reinforcement of the walls) as well as other electronic devices such as wireless speakers and baby monitors influence the quality and thus the range of the wireless connection.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update) or the latest operating system (for example Android, iOS) for the wireless device.
Note:Information on how to update it can be obtained from the manufacturer, for example refer to the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
3 Automatically configuring wireless channel settings
Configure the following settings so that the FRITZ!Box checks the wireless environment on a regular basis and automatically selects the best wireless channel settings:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
4 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, place the FRITZ!Box in a central location. FRITZ!Box has omnidirectional antennas. The wireless signal is therefore emitted spherically in all directions.
- Do not place the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Place the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and the wireless devices. Even small objects in the immediate vicinity of your FRITZ!Box can greatly reduce the coverage area of the wireless signal. Metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Place the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.
Now the FRITZ!Box is ideally configured. If the wireless range is still too low despite these measures, then the wireless environment is causing the issue and cannot be further influenced by the FRITZ!Box.
Note:You can use a FRITZ!Repeater to quickly and easily increase the range and stability of the wireless network.