FRITZ!Box 7530 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
USB storage device is not detected by FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box does not detect a USB storage device. After connecting it to the FRITZ!Box, the USB storage device is either not displayed at all under "Home network > USB Devices > Overview of Devices" in the user interface, or it is displayed as an "unknown" device.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
Restart the FRITZ!Box while the USB storage device is connected to it:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
3 Configuring USB 2.0 mode
The following step is only necessary if you are using a USB 3.0 device:
Note:Some USB 3.0 devices (for example My Passport hard drives from Western Digital) do not correctly identify themselves as USB 3.0 devices. Therefore, the FRITZ!Box cannot correctly integrate these devices.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "USB Devices" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "USB Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Green Mode USB 2.0" for the USB port.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
4 Checking whether the USB storage device is working properly
- For testing purposes, connect the USB storage device to a USB port on your computer.
- If the computer also does not recognize the USB storage device, then either the USB storage device or the USB cable is defective. In this case, contact the manufacturer.
5 Connecting the USB storage device directly to the FRITZ!Box
The following step is only necessary if the USB storage device is connected to the FRITZ!Box via a USB hub:
- For testing purposes, connect the USB storage device directly to the FRITZ!Box (i.e. without a USB hub).
- If the USB storage device is now detected, then the USB hub is defective or it does not support the USB storage device you connected.
Note:The FRITZ!Box supplies USB devices with a total of up to 900 mA in accordance with the USB 3.0 specification. Use a USB hub with its own power supply (active USB hub) to connect devices that require more power to the FRITZ!Box.