FRITZ!Box 7530 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3490
Wireless connection drops frequently
The wireless connection (WiFi) from a notebook, smartphone, or other wireless device to the FRITZ!Box drops frequently.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Check whether there are any events that occurred before the error did, or whether only events that occurred after the error are shown.
- If events that took place before the error occurred are also shown, continue with the next section:
- If only events that took place after the error are shown, follow the instructions in our guide FRITZ!Box restarts occasionally.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
3 Installing the latest software for the wireless device
The following step is only necessary if you only experience frequent connection drops with a single wireless device, and other wireless devices used at the same location can establish stable wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box:
- Install the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update) or the latest operating system (for example Android, iOS) for the wireless device.
Note:Information on the update can be obtained from the device's manufacturer, for example refer to the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
If your device's wireless connection still continues to drop, there are unfortunately no further settings in the FRITZ!Box that influence the quality of the wireless connection. In such cases, the problem lies with the wireless device. The manufacturer of the wireless device may be able to give you some troubleshooting tips.
4 Automatically configuring wireless channel settings
Configure the following settings so that the FRITZ!Box checks the wireless environment at regular intervals and automatically selects the best wireless channel settings:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
5 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, place the FRITZ!Box in a central location. FRITZ!Box has omnidirectional antennas. The wireless signal is therefore emitted spherically in all directions.
- Do not place the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Place the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and the wireless devices. Even small objects in the immediate vicinity of your FRITZ!Box can greatly reduce the coverage area of the wireless signal. Metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Place the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.
6 Removing USB 3.0 devices
- For testing purposes, remove all USB 3.0 devices from the FRITZ!Box's USB ports.
- If the problem no longer occurs, a USB device was affecting the wireless connection. Eliminate the interference caused by the USB device.
Now the FRITZ!Box and the wireless device are ideally configured and the wireless connections between wireless devices and the FRITZ!Box are as stable as possible.
Note:If these measures do not sufficiently improve the connection, you can use a FRITZ!Repeater to increase the range and stability of the wireless network.