- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
Cannot access the internet via the FRITZ!Box
You don't have internet, even though internet access is set up in the FRITZ!Box? ✔ Here's what to do.
Although the FRITZ!Box is configured for DSL internet access, some or all of the devices connected to the FRITZ!Box cannot access the internet.
One of the following messages may be displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the respective Windows computers:
- "Unidentified Network"
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No internet access"
Important:If you are using your FRITZ!Box with a DSL, cable, or fiber optic modem, proceed as described in the guide Cannot access the internet via a different modem.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "Internet Connection" from the drop-down list.
- Check whether one of the following error messages is displayed and follow the instructions in the corresponding guide:
2 Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box automatically assigns the correct IP settings to all devices via DHCP. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, re-enable it:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click "Additional Settings" in the section "LAN Settings" to display all of the settings.
- Click the "IPv4 Configuration" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
3 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
To ensure that the device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it automatically obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box (this is the default setting for most devices):
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
4 Configuring a DNS server in the FRITZ!Box
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box uses the DNS server of the internet service provider for the name resolution of web addresses. If you set up other DNS servers in the FRITZ!Box, re-enable the DNS server of the internet service provider:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "DNS Server" tab.
- Enable the option "Use DNSv4 servers assigned by the internet service provider (recommended)".
- If the section "DNSv6 Servers" is displayed, enable the option "Use DNSv6 servers assigned by the internet service provider (recommended)".
- If the option "Encrypted name resolution in the internet (DNS over TLS)" is enabled, enable the option "Allow fallback to non-encrypted name resolution in the internet".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings and on the FRITZ!Box, confirm that the procedure may be executed if asked to do so.
5 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the firewall on the computer to allow connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
6 Configuring the Internet Explorer
The following step is only necessary if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer and it displays the message "Web page unavailable while offline":
- Start the Internet Explorer.
- Open the "Tools" menu.
- If the menu entry "Work Offline" is displayed and there is a checkmark in front of it, click this entry to remove the checkmark.
- Click the menu entry "Internet Options" and then "Connections".
- Enable the option "Never dial a connection".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
7 Installing the latest software for network adapters
- Install the latest driver for the computer's network adapter or the latest software for the respective device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).
AVM Section Navigation