FRITZ!Box 7490 Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box user interface cannot be opened
What should you do when the FRITZ!Box user interface does not open when you enter fritz.box?
If you cannot open the user interface on your computer, tablet or smartphone, this is usually due to incorrect settings of the FRITZ!Box or the network device.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether you are now able to open the user interface.
1 Notes on the connection between the device and FRITZ!Box
2 Calling up the complete address
Some web browsers start a web search if you enter an unknown or incomplete address., for example Google Chrome using Google. To avoid this, you must enter the complete address http://fritz.box.
Fig.: Entering the complete address for the user interface in the address field of the web browser
3 Clearing browsing data (cache)
On computers with Windows or macOS, clear the cache of the web browser:
- On the keyboard, simultaneously press "CTRL + Shift + Del" or "CMD + Alt + E" for Safari.
- In the new window, click "Clear" or press Enter.
4 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Unplug the FRITZ!Box for 5 seconds.
Note:The FRITZ!Box settings remain intact. The restart will take about 2 minutes. During this time, you cannot access the FRITZ!Box.
5 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
Incorrect IP settings for the network device can prevent the FRITZ!Box user interface from being opened.
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
6 Using the "emergency IP" to open the user interface
- Check whether you can use the emergency IP address http://169.254.1.1 to open the user interface.
- If the FRITZ!Box user interface opens, follow the instructions in our guide Why can the FRITZ!Box user interface only be opened using the emergency IP address?.
- If the user interface cannot be opened, proceed with the following section.
7 Testing a different device
- Check whether you can open the user interface with a different device.
- If the user interface opens, use the other device to open the user interface. The settings of the first device are incorrect or the device is not functioning properly.
- If the user interface does not open, use the recovery tool to reset the FRITZ!Box. The FRITZ!Box is in an error state.