FRITZ!Box 7490 Service - Knowledge Base
Using a lab version
FRITZ! Lab presents new functions of the upcoming FRITZ!OS before they are incorporated in the regular update; this allows you to try out future improvements. Lab versions have the same status as a beta version. We have tested these versions in standard environments; however, we cannot guarantee that they will work in each individual case.
You can find comprehensive information on the new functions in the info file that is included in the ZIP file of the lab version.
Note:We look forward to receiving feedback on your experiences, suggestions for improvement, and any problems you experience with FRITZ! lab; simply use our feedback form in FRITZ! lab to contact us.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The lab version is not suitable for FRITZ!Boxes provided directly by internet service providers.
- The official FRITZ!OS can only be reinstalled using the recovery tool (.recover-image.exe) included in the ZIP file on a computer with Windows 10 / 8 / 7.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
Before you install a lab version, always install the latest regular FRITZ!OS your the FRITZ!Box first:
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
2 Downloading a lab version for the FRITZ!Box
- Call up en.avm.de/labor in your web browser.
- Click the "To the lab" button that corresponds to the lab version you want to download.
- Follow the instructions and enable the option "Yes, I have read the info and I want to start the download".
- Click the "Start Download" button.
- Now the ZIP file with the lab version is downloaded.
- Unzip the ZIP file to your computer, for example to the Desktop.
- The ZIP file contains an info file (infolab.pdf), the lab version (.image), and a file that allows you to reinstall the regular FRITZ!OS (.recover-image.exe).
3 Installing a lab version for the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Update" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "FRITZ!OS file" tab. If the tab is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enter a password and click "Save settings".
- Click the "Browse..." button and select the lab file that you downloaded (image file).
- Click the "Start Update" button.
- The "Info" LED flashes while the lab version is being transmitted to the repeater.
4 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for FRITZ!WLAN Repeater and FRITZ!Powerline
So that your FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 1160, 1750E, 450E, DVB-C and FRITZ!Powerline 1240E, 1260E, 540E can then be integrated into the mesh WiFi, install the latest FRITZ!OS on it:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click "Perform update" next to the respective FRITZ!WLAN Repeater and FRITZ!Powerline adapter.