FRITZ!Box 7430 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
Configuring IPv6 support in the FRITZ!Box
The Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is the successor to IPv4, which is currently the most common protocol for the communication between computers on the internet and in the local network (LAN). Over the course of the coming years, internet communication will experience a seamless transition. This means that during a transition phase, both protocols will be used in parallel.
In order to use IPv6, you will have to configure this new internet protocol in the FRITZ!Box as well as on the computers, smartphones, and other devices connected to it.
Note:The FRITZ!Box allows the use of IPv6 and IPv4 at the same time (dual stack principle). This means that all functions of the FRITZ!Box remain available even after setting up IPv6.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
- Configure the devices connected to the FRITZ!Box for use with IPv6.
2 Setting up a IPv6 connection in the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "IPv6" tab. If the tab is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Click the (Help) icon on the top right.
- Enable the option "IPv6 support enabled" and configure the IPv6 connection as described in the FRITZ!Box help.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
3 Adjusting the IPv6 settings for the home network
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv6 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the option "Assign unique local addresses (ULA) as long as no IPv6 connection exists (recommended)".
- Enable the option "Enable DHCPv6 server in the FRITZ!Box for the home network" and "Only assign DNS server".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.