- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
Using the FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
You can connect the FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater to an existing FRITZ!Box. Internet and telephony services configured in the existing FRITZ!Box are then available to the FRITZ!Box configured as the wireless repeater and can be used by the devices connected to this FRITZ!Box. The FRITZ!Box cannot be used as a wireless repeater with a router from another manufacturer.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Each FRITZ!Box must support the method for increasing Wi-Fi range.
- The Wi-Fi network name (SSID) of the FRITZ!Box with internet access must be visible.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
Connecting the computer with the wireless repeater
- Use Wi-Fi or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box you want to use as a wireless repeater.
- If the computer is already connected to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection, clear that connection.
Configuring the operating mode
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click on "Mesh" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Mesh Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater".
- Enable the option "This FRITZ!Box is a network device (IP client) in the home network [...]".
- Enable the option "via Wi-Fi".
- Under "Selecting the Wi-Fi Network", select the Wi-Fi network of your FRITZ!Box with internet access. If the FRITZ!Box is not displayed:
- Reduce the distance between the two devices.
- Click the "Refresh List" button and then select the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
- Enter the network key of the FRITZ!Box with internet access in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box is configured as a wireless repeater.
Important:When configured as a wireless repeater, the FRITZ!Box can no longer be reached at http://fritz.box; it can only be accessed via the Mesh or home network overview of the FRITZ!Box with internet access and the IP address assigned to it by the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
2 Setting up Mesh
If FRITZ!OS 7 or later is installed on the FRITZ!Box with internet access, connect the devices to form a Mesh.
- Push and hold down the WLAN WPS button on the FRITZ!Box with internet access for about 6 seconds until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the wireless repeater until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530 AX, 7530, 7520, 6890 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the FRITZ!Box with internet access marks the wireless repeater with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- Select a location for the FRITZ!Box being used as the wireless repeater where the quality of the Wi-Fi signal of the FRITZ!Box with internet access is good. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for the Mesh Repeater.
4 Setting up telephony
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the FRITZ!Box with internet access with telephones connected to the wireless repeater:
AVM Section Navigation