Setting up a printer as a network printer via network cable or Wi-Fi
You can simply connect your printer to the FRITZ!Box via network cable or Wi-Fi, making it available as a network printer in the entire home network. Since the printer itself accepts and processes all of the print jobs, you do not have to configure any specific settings for the printer in the FRITZ!Box.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) can only use printers with Wi-Fi that use Apple's AirPrint technology.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box automatically assigns the correct IP settings to all devices via DHCP. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, re-enable it:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
Allowing wireless devices to communicate
The following step is only necessary if you want to connect the printer to the FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi:
- Click "Wi-Fi" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Security" in the "Wi-Fi" menu.
- Enable the option "The active wireless devices displayed below may communicate with each other" in the section "Additional Security Settings".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Setting up the printer
Make sure that the printer obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the printer to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP (this is the default setting for most printers). Refer to the manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
3 Connecting a printer to the FRITZ!Box
- Either use a network cable or Wi-Fi to connect the printer to the FRITZ!Box.
Now the printer is connected to the FRITZ!Box and can be used as a network printer in the entire home network.
Refer to the manufacturer for information on how to set up the printer on all of the devices, for example consult the manual.
AVM Section Navigation