FRITZ!Box 7390 Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box reports "The update failed" after adding a telephone book
You cannot add the contacts from an e-mail account (online telephone book). One of the following error messages is displayed when the telephone book is refreshed:
- "The update failed. Please check the user data. (13, 14)"
- "The online telephone book could not be refreshed."
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
2 Telephone book contains too many entries
The online telephone book may contain a maximum of 1000 entries. If you are using Google Contacts, the contact groups "My Contacts" and "Other Contacts" are both synchronized. The total number of entries in these groups may therefore not exceed 1000 entries.
3 Telephone book does not contain any telephone numbers
The FRITZ!Box only imports telephone book entries that contain telephone numbers. Since telephone books that only contain e-mail addresses are not imported, at least one entry must contain a telephone number.
4 Deleting a telephone book and setting it up again
Deleting a telephone book
- Click "Telephony" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Telephone Book" in the "Telephony" menu.
- Switch to the telephone book for your e-mail account.
- Click the (Delete) button and then "OK".
Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.
Setting up a telephone book again
- Set up the telephone book in the FRITZ!Box.
5 Contacting your provider
- Contact your e-mail provider.