FRITZ!Box 7369 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
FRITZ!Box reports "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth"
The speed of the wireless connection (WiFi) to the FRITZ!Box displayed by wireless devices such as computers, smartphones, or tablets, is significantly lower than the data rate allowed by the wireless standard 802.11n. The following message is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
- "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth (2.4 GHz)"
- The FRITZ!Box recognizes when the wireless channels it uses in the 2.4 GHz frequency band are in heavy use by other wireless networks. To ensure stable wireless connections, it automatically reduces the channel bandwidth from 40 MHz to 20 MHz. This FRITZ!Box behavior is conform to wireless coexistence, which is part of the wireless standard 802.11n. Although wireless devices then display a lower data rate, the user data rate is increased because there is less interference and the wireless connection is no longer affected by constant retransmissions.
1 Selecting the best wireless channel
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box automatically checks the wireless environment and selects the wireless channel settings. However, with some disturbances it cannot determine the best wireless channel for all wireless device. Therefore, select the wireless channel in the FRITZ!Box that is least affected by interference in the wireless environment:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Click the link "Show disturbances to wireless network" in the "Wireless Environment" section.
- Use the diagram to determine which channel in the lower frequency range is least affected by other wireless networks and interference.
- Enable the option "Adjust radio channel settings" in the "Radio Channel Settings" section.
- From the drop-down list "Radio channel", select the wireless channel that was the least affected.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- If the issue with your wireless connection still occurs, repeat steps 3 - 7 with a wireless channel in the middle and then with one in the higher frequency range. Once you have finished testing, use the wireless channel that was least affected by disturbances.
Important:The diagram of the wireless environment only reflects the current situation! The allocation of the frequency band can change significantly over the course of the day because many wireless networks are turned on when in use. Therefore, check several times to see which wireless channels are least affected by interference.
Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are established with the maximum possible data rate.
Note:If the message "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth [...]" is still displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box, this is due to the heavy use by wireless networks in the vicinity.