- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3490
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick N v2
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 860
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430 MU-MIMO
- FRITZ!WLAN Stick AC 430
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater DVB-C
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 450E
Wi-Fi connection drops frequently
You're having problems with your Wi-Fi? The Wi-Fi connection keeps dropping? ✔ Here's how to solve your connection problems.
The Wi-Fi connection from a notebook, smartphone, or other wireless device to the FRITZ!Box drops frequently.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Check whether there are any events that occurred before the error did, or whether only events that occurred after the error are shown.
- If events that took place before the error occurred are also shown, continue with the next section:
- If only events that took place after the error are shown, follow the steps in our guide FRITZ!Box restarts occasionally.
2 Updating FRITZ!OS and Wi-Fi software
Updates contain improvements, bug fixes, and new functions. Therefore, install the latest FRITZ!OS or software version on all of the devices:
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
Installing the latest software for the wireless device
- Install the latest software version for the wireless device (for example Android, iOS) or the latest driver for the computer's wireless network adapter (for example using Windows Update).
Note:Information on the update can be obtained from the device's manufacturer, for example refer to the manual. You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
3 Optimizing the FRITZ!Box's Wi-Fi settings
Automatically configuring Wi-Fi channel settings
- Click "Wi-Fi" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Wi-Fi Channel" ("Radio Channel") in the "Wi-Fi" ("Wireless") menu.
- Enable the option "Set Wi-Fi channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now Wi-Fi connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically re-established.
Adjusting the name of the Wi-Fi network (SSID)
- Click "Wi-Fi" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Wi-Fi Network" ("Radio Network") in the "Wi-Fi" ("Wireless") menu.
- Enter a unique name in the field "Name of the Wi-Fi network (SSID)". This prevents your wireless devices from trying to connect to the wrong wireless router if there are Wi-Fi networks with the same name in the area.
- Enable the option "Name of the Wi-Fi network visible". This way, all wireless devices can establish a connection to the FRITZ!Box.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. All Wi-Fi connections to the FRITZ!Box are cleared when the new Wi-Fi network name is adopted. You must then reconfigure the Wi-Fi connections to the FRITZ!Box.
4 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, place the FRITZ!Box in a centrally located room. The FRITZ!Box has omnidirectional antennas. The Wi-Fi signal is therefore emitted spherically in all directions.
- Do not place the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Place the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Place the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and the wireless devices. Even small objects in the immediate vicinity of your FRITZ!Box can greatly reduce the range of the Wi-Fi signal. Metallic objects or objects containing water, such as radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the Wi-Fi signal.
- Place the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, such as microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.
Now the FRITZ!Box and the wireless devices are ideally configured. If the Wi-Fi connections of individual wireless devices still drop, then the problem lies with the respective wireless devices. The manufacturer of the wireless devices may be able to give you some troubleshooting tips.
However, if Wi-Fi connections continue to drop after a certain distance, the Wi-Fi environment or the range of the wireless devices is the cause. In this case you can use a FRITZ!Repeater to increase the range and stability of the Wi-Fi network.
AVM Section Navigation