Why can the FRITZ!Box user interface only be opened using the emergency IP address?
Normally you can open the FRITZ!Box user interface by entering http://fritz.box and the emergency IP address http://169.254.1.1 in a web browser. The emergency IP can even be used with the FRITZ!Box if you assigned your own IP addresses and forgot the IP address of your FRITZ!Box, for example. The same functions are available if you use the emergency IP address to open the user interface instead of fritz.box.
In the following, we describe all of the measures we know of that will enable you to open the user interface with fritz.box again. Follow the steps in order; after each step, check whether you can then open it. Instead, you can also continue to use the emergency IP 169.254.1.1 without any restrictions.
1 FRITZ!Box's DHCP server is not enabled
The FRITZ!Box must be configured as a DHCP server in order for it to respond to http://fritz.box:
- Call up the address http://169.254.1.1 in a web browser.
- Click "Home Network" and then "Home Network Overview".
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 DNS queries cannot be answered
If the network device does not automatically obtain its IP and server addresses because they were manually assigned, DNS queries are sent via the FRITZ!Box's internet connection, but not to the FRITZ!Box's DNS server. The DNS servers on the internet cannot answer the DNS query for http://fritz.box:
- Check whether the network device automatically obtains its IP and DNS server addresses or whether the addresses were entered manually.
- If the addresses were entered manually:
- Configure the other DNS servers directly in the FRITZ!Box.
- Configure the network adapter so that the DNS server addresses are obtained automatically.
- If the addresses are obtained automatically, continue with the next section.
3 DHCP Client service is not enabled in Windows
If the "DHCP Client" service was disabled in Windows, the FRITZ!Box cannot respond to http://fritz.box:
- Open the Control Panel in Windows (use the search field or select "Start > Control Panel").
- Select "Category" from the drop-down list "View by:" on the top right ().
- Click "System and Security" and then "Administrative Tools".
- Double-click the entry "Services".
- Double-click the entry "DHCP Client" displayed in the "Name" column.
- Select "Automatic" as the startup type.
- Click "Start" (if available) and then "OK" or "Apply".
- Restart your computer.
4 Firewall and security software are interfering with communication
Firewalls and security software can interfere with the communication between the computer and the FRITZ!Box:
- Temporarily uninstall firewalls and security software, such as Internet Security 2017 from Kaspersky.
- Check whether you can open the FRITZ!Box user interface now.
- If you can open the user interface now, security software was preventing it from opening. Reinstall the software and configure the software so that it allows connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box to be established. Information on how to set it up can be obtained from the manufacturer, for example refer to the manual.
AVM Section Navigation