- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583 VDSL
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5530 Fiber
Setting up a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box in Apple macOS
You can use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to establish a tap- and tamper-proof connection over the internet between your computer with Apple macOS and your FRITZ!Box. This allows you to access all of the devices and data in your home network with your computer even when you are away from home.
Example values used in this guide
In this guide we show you how to connect a computer with macOS 11.0.1 to the FRITZ!Box over VPN. When setting up the connection, replace the values used in this example with your actual values.
- MyFRITZ! domain name of the FRITZ!Box:
- User name of the FRITZ!Box user:
- Password for the FRITZ!Box user:
- Shared secret of the FRITZ!Box user:
Requirements / Restrictions
- macOS 10.6 or later is installed on the computer.
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Setting up MyFRITZ!
With MyFRITZ! you can access the FRITZ!Box over the internet at all times even if the FRITZ!Box receives a different public IP address from your internet service provider at regular intervals:
Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP network
Both ends of a VPN connection must have IP addresses from different IP networks. VPN communication cannot occur if your computer is connected to a router (for example another FRITZ!Box) that uses the same IP network as your FRITZ!Box.
Note:All FRITZ!Boxes use the IP network 192.168.178.0 in the factory settings.
Assign an IP address to your FRITZ!Box that is different from the IP addresses of the routers you use to connect to the FRITZ!Box, for example 192.168.10.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0):
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enter the desired IP address and subnet mask.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Setting up a VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box
Set up a separate user for each VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" in the "System" menu.
- Click the (Edit) button for the user who intends to connect to the FRITZ!Box via VPN. If you have not set up any users yet:
- Click the "Add User" button.
- Enter a name and password for the user in the corresponding fields.
- Enable the option "VPN".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box sets up the VPN rights for this FRITZ!Box user.
Afterwards, a window displaying the VPN settings for the FRITZ!Box user opens automatically.
Note:You can open this window any time by clicking "Show VPN Settings" in the settings for the FRITZ!Box user.
3 Setting up and establishing a VPN connection on the computer
Set up the VPN connection on the computer using the VPN settings displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface for the FRITZ!Box user:
Note:You can access the VPN settings if you select "System > FRITZ!Box Users" in the user interface, call up the settings for the user, and click "Show VPN Settings".
- Open the "System Preferences" in the Apple menu.
- Click on "Network" in the "System Preferences" menu.
- Select the desired location, then click the plus sign below the list with the existing connections.
- Select "VPN" from the drop-down list "Interface".
- Select "Cisco IPSec" from the drop-down list "VPN Type".
- Enter a name of your choice (FRITZ!Box VPN) for the "Service Name" and then click "Create".
- Enter the MyFRITZ! domain name of the FRITZ!Box (pi80ewgfi72d2os42.myfritz.net) for the "Server Address".
- For the "Account Name", enter the name of the FRITZ!Box user (John Smith) who intends to connect to the FRITZ!Box via VPN.
- Enter the password for the FRITZ!Box user (secret1234) in the "Password" field.
Important:If you enter the password here, a password will not be required to establish the VPN connection. Protect your computer with a password so that unauthorized persons cannot use the VPN connection.
- Click "Authentication Settings ...".
- In the "Shared Secret" field, enter the shared secret (Zj7hPCouK65IrPU) displayed in the VPN settings for the FRITZ!Box user.
- Enter the name of the FRITZ!Box user (John Smith) in the "Group Name" field.
- Click "OK" and then "Apply" to save the settings.
- Click "Connect".
AVM Section Navigation