DSL connection drops frequently
The FRITZ!Box's DSL connection drops often and the "Power" LED flashes? ✔ Here's what to do.
The DSL connection between the FRITZ!Box and your DSL provider's exchange drops several times a day. During this time, the "Power" LED on the FRITZ!Box flashes and remains lit as soon as the internet connection is re-established.
If you have a DSL line with an additional analog telephone line, this problem may occur particularly often when you accept a call to your analog landline number or make a call from your analog telephone line.
The following error message is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
"DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization)
DSL synchronization starting (training)"
- The stability of the DSL connection depends primarily on the length and quality of the access line. Errors in the cabling or problems with the internet service provider's exchange (DSLAM) can also affect it.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Check whether events also took place before the time when the error occurred, or whether only events are shown that took place after the error occurred.
- If events are also displayed that took place before the time the error occurred, proceed with the next section.
- If only those events are displayed that took place after the error occurred, follow the steps in our guide FRITZ!Box restarts occasionally.
2 Checking the cabling
It is often difficult to recognize errors in the cabling and they can remain unnoticed for a long time. Therefore, check the wiring in your home:
- Remove the DSL splitter if you are using the FRITZ!Box on an IP-based connection.
- Remove all cable extensions, unused cables, telephone jacks, and additional electrical components (for example surge protection, automatic extension outlets).
- Make sure that the FRITZ!Box is correctly connected to your DSL line. For detailed information, refer to the quick guide included with the FRITZ!Box and the manual.
3 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
Installing the latest FRITZ!OS makes your FRITZ!Box compatible with the latest DSL technology used by DSL providers in their DSL exchanges:
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
4 Increasing the interference resistance
Increase the interference resistance of your DSL connection so that the DSL connection no longer drops or does not drop as often when there are brief disturbances on the DSL line:
Note:Increasing the interference resistance of the DSL connection may slightly reduce the data rate of the DSL connection.
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "DSL Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Interference Resistance" ("Line Settings") tab. If the tab is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Move the control "Intended signal-to-noise ratio" one step farther towards "maximum stability".
Important:If you move the controls too far towards "maximum stability", with some DSL lines you may no longer be able to establish a DSL connection. Therefore, do not select the setting "maximum stability" right away. Instead, move the controls step by step to the left to determine the best setting for your DSL line.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- If the DSL connection continues to drop frequently, repeat steps 4 - 6 until the DSL connection is stable.
5 Checking the DSL line
There may be a problem with the DSL line. Since it may take a while for your DSL provider to check your line, you may be charged for the service, and our experience shows that there is often a problem with DSL lines even if they have been checked by your provider, proceed as follows:
- Disconnect the FRITZ!Box from the DSL line.
- Connect a different DSL modem to the DSL line.
- Test whether the DSL connection remains stable when you use this DSL modem.
- If the connection continues to drop, have your provider check your line. There is a problem with the DSL line.
ATTENTION!You may be charged for checking. Ask your provider about charges in advance!
AVM Section Navigation