FRITZ!Box 7330 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
Setting up wireless guest access (private hotspot) in the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box's wireless guest access offers your guests a private hotspot and allows them to enjoy secure internet access. In this case, the FRITZ!Box provides an additional wireless network (WiFi) with separate security settings so you do not need to disclose the network key for your private wireless network.
Your guests' wireless devices (for example notebooks, smartphones) are completely isolated from your home network. They cannot access your devices or the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The FRITZ!Box's wireless network must be enabled.
- Devices in the guest network are configured to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
- The FRITZ!Box must establish its own connection to the internet. It is not possible to set up guest access if the FRITZ!Box uses the internet connection of another router ("IP client mode").
- IPTV playback and other FRITZ!Box functions (such as the MAC address filter, port sharing, telephony) are not available when using guest access.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring guest access
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Guest Access" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the guest access.
- For the "Name of the guest radio network (SSID)", enter the name that guests should see when they search for wireless networks.
- Select the encryption method from the drop-down list "Encryption". WPA2 encryption offers the best security.
- Enter a password that is between 8 and 63 characters long in the "Network key" field. Use numerals, letters, and other characters, and combine capitals and lower-case letters.
- If you also want to allow other forms of internet access, disable the option "Restrict internet applications: Only surfing and mail allowed".
- If wireless devices should be allowed to exchange data with each other, enable the option "The wireless devices connected with the guest access can communicate with each other".
- If you do not want the guest access to be permanently enabled, select when the guest access should be disabled automatically.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now guests who know the name of the guest wireless network (SSID) and the network key can use your private hotspot.
Note:You can also use a FRITZ!Fon to enable and disable guest access in the "Home Network > WLAN" menu. The push service sends you a daily email message informing you about which wireless devices used the guest network.
2 Regulating internet use for the guest access
All devices in the guest network are assigned the "Guest" access profile in the FRITZ!Box parental controls. You can adjust the "Guest" access profile, for example if you want to limit internet use in the guest network to certain times or block access to certain websites:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Access Profiles" tab and then the (Edit) button for the "Guest" profile.
- Enable the option "restricted" in the "Time Limit" section, and then hold down the left mouse button while you drag the mouse across the areas of the timetable when internet use should be blocked.
Fig.: Internet use blocked during class hours and in the evening
- If you want to block access to certain websites, enable the options "Filter websites" and "Block websites (blacklist)".
Note:You can edit the blacklist on the "Lists" tab in the menu "Internet > Filters". It may contain up to 500 web addresses that must be separated by a space (for example "bootleg.com xxx.com weapons.net").
- Click "OK" to save the access profile.