FRITZ!Box 7272 Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up LAN guest access in the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box's LAN guest access allows computers, game consoles, and other devices to use the fast and secure Internet access of your FRITZ!Box without allowing them to access your home network or the FRITZ!Box user interface. For instance, this means that your neighbor can use your Internet connection via FRITZ!Powerline but not access your personal data.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Guest access is not available if the FRITZ!Box shares the Internet connection of another router ("IP client mode", "wireless repeater").
- Devices in the guest network must be configured to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
- IPTV playback and individual FRITZ!Box functions (such as port sharing, telephony) are not available when using guest access.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Setting up guest access in the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Guest access enabled for LAN 4".
Note:You can customize the captive portal under "Wireless (WLAN) > Guest Access". For example, you can add your company logo or a redirect to a website.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Regulating Internet use for the guest access
As a rule, devices using guest access are always assigned to the access profile "Guest" in the FRITZ!Box parental controls. You can adjust the "Guest" access profile, for example if you would like to limit Internet access over the guest access to certain times or block access to certain websites:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Access Profiles" tab and then the (edit) button for the "Guest" profile.
- Select the option "restricted" for the "Period".
- Click on the "Internet use blocked" button and then hold down the left mouse button while you drag the mouse across the areas of the timetable when Internet use should be blocked.
Fig.: Internet access allowed at night and blocked in the morning
- If you want to block access to certain websites, enable the options "Filter web sites" and "Block web sites (blacklist)".
Note:You can edit the blacklist on the "Lists" tab in the menu "Internet > Filters". It may contain up to 500 web addresses that must be separated by a space (for example "bootleg.com xxx.com weapons.net").
- Click "OK" to save the access profile.