FRITZ!Box 7272 Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box reports "A microwave was detected"
The speed of the wireless connection (WiFi) to the FRITZ!Box displayed by wireless devices such as computers, smartphones, or tablets, is significantly lower than the data rate allowed by the wireless standard 802.11n. The following message is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
- "Wireless LAN: a microwave was detected; radio channels optimized for 450 Mbit/s temporarily deactivated (2.4 GHz)."
- The FRITZ!Box detects sources of interference, for example a microwave in the frequency range around 2.45 GHz. To ensure stable wireless connections, the FRITZ!Box automatically reduces the channel bandwidth from 40 MHz to 20 MHz. Although wireless devices then display a lower data rate, the user data rate is increased because there is less interference and the wireless connection is no longer affected by constant retransmissions.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Automatically configuring wireless channel settings
Configure the following settings so that the FRITZ!Box checks the wireless environment on a regular basis and automatically selects the best wireless channel settings.
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings. Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
2 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- If possible, position the FRITZ!Box in a central location.
- Do not position the FRITZ!Box directly in the corner of a room.
- Position the FRITZ!Box so that it is as unobstructed as possible, i.e. not directly in back of or under an obstacle such as pieces of furniture or a heater.
- Position the FRITZ!Box as high in the room as possible, for example on a shelf.
- Position the FRITZ!Box so that there are as few obstacles as possible between it and other wireless devices. Especially metallic objects or objects containing water, for example radiators, refrigerators, or even houseplants, significantly reduce the quality of the wireless signal.
- Position the FRITZ!Box away from other radio transmitters, for example microwaves, wireless speakers, or Bluetooth devices.