FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
USB printer not or occasionally not detected by FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box either does not detect a USB printer connected to it, or it occasionally does not detect it. When the error occurs, the printer is not displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Home Network > USB Devices > Overview of Devices".
If the FRITZ!Box keeps detecting the printer again, the message "USB device xxx, Class 'USB x.x (full-speed) printer', plugged in" will be displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box numerous times.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Unplug the FRITZ!Box for 5 seconds.
Note:The FRITZ!Box settings remain intact. The restart will take about 2 minutes. During this time, you cannot access the FRITZ!Box.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
3 Connecting the printer directly to the FRITZ!Box
Perform the following step if the printer is connected to the FRITZ!Box via a USB hub:
- For testing purposes, connect the printer directly to the FRITZ!Box, i.e. without a USB hub.
- If the printer is now detected, then the USB hub is either defective or it does not support the printer you connected.
4 Testing a different cable
The USB cable being used to connect the printer to the FRITZ!Box may be too long, or an incorrect USB cable may have been used:
- Use a high-quality USB cable that is as short as possible to connect the printer to the FRITZ!Box.
5 Connecting all-in-one printers via the USB remote connection
All-in-one printers (devices that are a combination printer, scanner, and fax machine) register themselves with the FRITZ!Box as several different device types. If you want to use all of the functions offered by your all-in-one printer with your FRITZ!Box, use the FRITZ!Box USB remote connection software:
- Use the FRITZ!Box USB remote connection to connect your all-in-one printer to your computer.
6 Checking whether the printer is working properly
- For testing purposes, connect the printer to a USB port on your computer.
- If the computer does not recognize the printer, then either the printer or the USB cable is defective. In this case, contact the manufacturer.